Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Island Vacation Pt 1

So at the end of January, Chinese New Year was celebrated. This holiday follows the lunar calendar so every year it changes. A group of us decided that we would go to a Phillippino island called Boracay. It is famous for its gorgeous beaches and party atmosphere. It turns out that my roommate and her friends had decided to go to the same place as well. Good times.
Our flight left on Sat morning at 7:40. I thought that if we got to the airport by 6 we would be okay. I was wrong. The airport was packed to the gills with holiday travelers all leaving at the same time. It also doesn't help that we went to the wrong terminal to start with and had to take the not speedy terminal tram to the correct one.
On the up side when we tried to do self-check in the machines wouldn't let us for whatever reason and the helpful lady behind the desk checked us all in quickly and sent us on our way.
We then had to wait in line at immigration. Every line was full to the partition wall. This was also not a speedy process.
Then there was security, which actually went quickly. They just wanted to get people through and too their planes. By the time we got through security though we were five minutes late for our flight. We had to run to the plane. We were the last ones on and they were holding the flight for us. Ooops. We made it though and all was well.

We spent the day in Manila which I don't have any pictures of, because for whatever reason my allergies decided they were only going to flair up in my right eye. We were away from the hostel by the time I just couldn't wear my contacts anymore and I did not have my glasses with me.
So I spent most of the day with one contact. Hard to take pictures when you can't focus very well.
Manila was worth seeing (what I could see of it anyway). There is lots of Spanish Colonial architecture and of course beautiful Catholic churches.

The next day we headed off to Boracay. The hostel we stayed in gave us a ride to the airport. I handed the man driving the piece of paper that had the name of the airline we were taking and he proceeded to drive us to some private airfield. That was not where we were supposed to be. Hmmm. He finally got us where we needed to be and as he drives off Tony realizes he left his bag with his Ipod at the hostel. We do not have time to go get it. It turns out that we are in fact late checking in for this flight as well. We are there an hour before the flight to a small island. How can we be late? Crud. I swear we are going to be on time for one of the flights we take during this vacation. The woman at the check in says it is okay and lets us check in anyway. Woohoo. It was a very small airport and there was not a crush of people like there was at the Taipei airport. This airport does have a Cinnabon though. It smelled delicious.



Here is one engine of our airplane. I was seated in the front of the 16 seater right behind the pilot. I could literally lean forward and touch him had I so desired to be arrested and thrown in an island jail for the duration of my vacation. (I refrained from doing so)

This was our inflight drink selection. We were handed these as we were given our seat assignments and sent out onto the tarmac to board. I giggled a lot. The plane was so small that there was no flight attendant or restroom. The flight was only about an hour long so that wasn't really a problem.

We got to the island and the hotel we were at also provided pick up service and transport to the hotel itself. In order to get to Boracay you have to boat to it. These are the kinds of boats that most people get across on. It's very exciting to get on the boat when you have to walk down a thin gang plank and try not to fall into the water. There are lots of men on and around the boats to make sure that doesn't happen.

Okay, I believe this is long enough for post number 1.

No comments: