Friday, June 18, 2010

Toasteriffic!

I finally started putting my toaster oven to use. I found some bakeware that will work for casseroles and brownies. I'm still looking for better cookie sheets (like actual cookie sheets) but I found some pans with flat bottoms that might work. I will have time to try them out soon because school is ending for the year and I don't have to work this summer. Whether or not I will depends on just how hot it gets in my apartment.
It gets a pretty good breeze off the mountain and I haven't had to use my AC much yet this year, but the rains have slowed and now it's starting to get into the summer heat of consistent days of 30C.

Anyway, I had a bunch of bananas that ripened on my a lot quicker than I expected so I decided to make banana bread. I have a great recipe that I got from my mom, but I didn't bring it over here with me and I didn't ask her for it because I thought I would try a new recipe.

That turned out to be a bad idea. I mixed up the batter and felt that it was a little too thin when I was finished so I added a little more flour. I think it was still too thin, but I dumped it in the pan and baked it anyway. An hour or so later I tested it with a toothpick and it came out clean so I took it out to cool. After it had cooled I cut off a slice only to discover that it was essentially still batter. Bleah.


Here is the toaster oven busily baking away. It also has a rotisserie function so one of these days I will be having friends over and making chicken. Once I figure out how to cook in this climate of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hooray for the pans and the baking. next time trust your mother and use her recipe.
So excited about your trip -- Sure hope all goes well.
love, MOM