Monday, July 19, 2010

Orange Juice?

The last couple of weeks I've been traveling around Cambodia and Vietnam. I have been to Vietnam before, but it was just Hanoi and I didn't realize just how much there is to see and do. Had I realized that we would have spent all of our two weeks just traveling around Vietnam. You could easily spend just a month going to all the cities and seeing all the amazing things.
I'll talk more about the vacation later. Right now I want to focus on orange juice.
I have a little irritation when it comes to orange juice. When the menu says juice I expect the drink that comes to my table to have one point actually been squeezed out of an orange. If a powder is at any time involved it is no longer a juice and is now a drink. I hate Tang. I have had orange juices that were an electric orange color, but it was natural. You can tell the second you take a sip of an orange drink because it is so sugary your teeth hurt. That is not the way I want to start my morning. If the orange drink is part of the free breakfast the hotel is providing I will deal with it because they are trying to cut costs, but when I go to a restaurant and am paying good money for a glass filled with the juice of an actual orange I get irritated. Especially when the staff just looks at you blankly and doesn't understand what your problem is.
"Just bring me some tea instead please."
"Of course, but you will also be charged $3 for the glass of neon orange drink on your table as well."
So that's my first rant about orange juice/drink.
After two weeks away I came home and went to my refrigerator to dump out the half empty carton of orange juice I forgot to discard before I left. Now if I had been home in the states the carton would have been bulging at the seems from all the fermentation that had occurred, and I would have had to put on rubber gloves and a respirator so I could breath while pouring it and rinsing. I pick up the carton which is still it's original shape and I take off the cap. I am not blown back by a stench. Instead I lift the carton to my nose and it smells like....... orange juice!
What? What kind of preservatives have I been drinking these past several months if the half empty carton of o.j. can last two weeks and not have changed one bit from the day I opened the seal on it? This disturbs me a great deal.
I am now is search of an orange juice that is not going to preserve me from the inside out. Although that might come in handy some day. Hmmmm?


No comments: